Curiosity & Search - Evolving
Let’s take a look at how Curiosity and Search are evolving rapidly - expanding EveryDay Learning.
by Elliott Masie
When I am curious, my first action is to do an online search using Google, Bing or internal corporate system. I pick up my mobile phone about 10 times a day and do quick search requests.
Up until recently, I asked or typed a simple phrase, question or search - reflecting my immediate Curiosity and desire to learn something. The search result until recently was:
- A multi-page list of search results.
- The first items being advertiser paid placements.
- The format of the output is always a bulleted list.
- The search results are ONE BLAST - no drill-down or follow-ups.
- My results rarely reflect my own background or knowledge context.
- And, I LOVE Search - as it is empowers me to drive my learning.
Yet, when I turn to a person with my curiosity the results and process are different. I ask a friend, colleague or even random person nearby, I get their top answers or hunches to my curiosity query. I usually get 1 or at most 2 answers. BUT, I have the ability to ask multiple follow-up questions to clarify, challenge or extend the query.
AI in Curiosity, Searching & Learning
The MASIE Learning Foundation has been experimenting and researching a range of AI Chat and Search tools that are being launched by OpenAI, Microsoft, Google and others. Imagine if the Curiosity & Searching process were expanded and transformed.
Here are several of the changes that your employees will find as they use the AI tools that are being added to search engines and also office suites such as Microsoft Office.
The search process is now a Multi Part Chat/Query:
- They ask a question such as “what are the best practices to do ….”
- They can then clarify, expand or contract with multiple follow-ups such as “does it apply to Canada as well as the US” or “how long as this rule been in effect”.
They can ask for the Format of the response:
- A list
- A short article
- A long article
- A poem (or even a song)
- A job aid
- Soon: An app that will do the requested action.
- Soon: A graphic illustration
- Soon: A composed video element
They can ask for it in a different Language:
- Answer in German, Spanish or Mandarin.
They can ask for it to reflect a Personal Preference Profile:
- Soon: Use my output preferences in response.
- Soon: Map it to my current role or responsibility
- Provide answers from external sources OR just internal corporate answers.
The Search Process will be extended to include as many as 20 to 50 extending answers:
- It can be authorized to store their previous requests and base new ones on your history or preferences.
The Search Process could include connecting them to a Colleague.
- In your organization or externally with expertise or a similar set of curiosities for a conversation or chat.
The Search engine can suggest alternative questions or prompts.
Nudges, Reminders or Workflow Support can also be triggered by the Search engine to follow-up over time or when a problem or business situation happens.
Vocal Requests: The ability to talk a request to your phone with audio responses from the system as you clarify your responses.
Implications for Learning Colleagues
- While the future of OpenAI and other tools will evolve, change, be challenged and even banned/paused in the near term, the Search process will be more Curiosity and Multi-Part for you and your colleagues in the near future. Here are some experiments that we suggest for Learning Colleagues:
- Experiment with each of the emerging AI Chat and Search engines as they become public.
- Host a dialogue with both learning colleagues and managers/users to explore how Search might impact learning styles.
- Get ready for AI engines to also create Lessons or Learning Experiences (from great to awful) in the coming year. Imagine how these could be designed for greater acceptance and outcomes.
- Map your own reactions and changed perceptions of the role of Search in the workplace.
- Honestly explore the Pro’s and Con’s of these technologies.
- Understand the role of “Rights” and accuracy of information.
- Explore how to “Brand” and position these new tools for employees, balancing technology with cohort/peer learning and support.
AI & Learning LAB + Briefing
If you have the opportunity, we have just a few spaces available in our AI & Learning LAB + Briefing that I will host in Saratoga Springs in May 2023. Info at: http://www.masie.com.